Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Know Your Triggers

This past weekend was a little hectic. Friday, Jake and I had plans to go to dinner with one of my co-workers and his wife. But, instead Jake took our puking cat to the emergency vet. Then, Saturday morning while I was teaching at Saturday Academy my mom called me to let me know my 8 year old niece was in the hospital and probably would need her appendix removed. Well, sure enough, Saturday night my niece's appendix was removed so I decided to make the trip to see her on Sunday. On my drive back, I was listening to K-Love and they were discussing depression and anxiety. They were discussing ways to deal with anxiety. One of the suggestions was to "know your triggers" to help you realize when you will be struck with anxiety. 

The thing I don't think a lot of people realize is there is a difference between triggers and causes. A cause is the reason WHY the anxiety disorder is a part of you. These reasons could be biology (changes in your body's chemistry- too much or too little cortisol or serotonin) or environment (situations in your past- example: PTSD or experiences from your past). For me, the cause of my anxiety is a little bit of both.

More importantly is understanding your triggers. Triggers are issues that make your anxiety more prevalent. Not everyone who has an anxiety disorder experiences symptoms every day. I have "normal days." In fact, I could have a long stretch of normal days... then all of a sudden, a week of bad "anxiety-full" days. There are triggers that cause my anxiety to become a little more difficult to manage. 

There are natural triggers and invisible triggers. I experience both. Natural triggers are things that would cause people without an anxiety disorder to feel anxious. For example, a stressful job. I don't "blame" my anxiety on my job though. I make the choice to do the job I do and it is because I feel as though God wants me to serve others through teaching. Invisible triggers can include lack of goals, health, news, loss of coping abilities, and anxious thoughts. You can read more about these things on www.calmclinic.com. 

Through my therapy, I have been able to identify my triggers of anxiety. My triggers are anxious thoughts. Specifically regarding situations where I don't have complete control- which unfortunately is a great deal in life!! Some situations don't bother me. Some do. Therapy and self reflection is helping me to identify these triggers and stop them from taking over my thoughts. 

If you aren't in therapy but feel anxiety ridden. Try this: For a week or more write down in a journal every time you feel anxious. Write down EVERYTHING about the moment the anxiety took over you. From what you were wearing, what you were doing, thinking, saying, the time of day, how much sleep you got the night before. EVERYTHING! You will begin to see a link between your anxiousness. Then, when you know you are about to enter a situation that could trigger your anxiety: Stop. Take a breath. And Pray.

 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight"       Proverbs 3:5-6

Information taken from http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/causes/triggers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment